Below is a list of common questions about water and treatment options for your water. If you have a question that you don't see here, plase feel free to call at 905-985-4900 or 1-888-468-1336 or email us.What is hardness and why do I care if it's in my water?
A water softener is a machine installed in your home to eliminate hardness in your water. Hard water with calcium and magnesium ions are passed through a resin bed. Each bead in the bed is covered with sodium or potassium ions. As the hard water is processed, the salt ions swap out with the calcium and magnesium ions, thus making the water "soft". After a certain amount of water has passed through, the resin bed becomes full of calcium and magnesium requiring it to "regenerate" and the bed is flushed out and replaced with new sodium ions.
- Lower energy consumption due to reduced scale build-up in hot water heaters, dishwashers and other water using appliances.
- Prevent scale build up in pipes.
- Reduce the amount of detergents necessary to clean fabrics and dishes, as well as reduce spotting on cutlery.
- Can aid in allieviating dry and itchy skin.
- Provides improved water for cooking, washing fruits and vegetables and brewing coffees and teas.